Thursday, January 27, 2011

What a Difference A Day Can Make!


So the other day I found a great little dresser on the side of the road, and was inspired to begin working on transforming my laundry room. To date, this laundry room has been an utterly cluttered, hideous mess! Yes, I know I shouldn't be so hard on myself, because I do have young twins and the laundry room wasn't a top priority. Well, in only one day, thanks to my wonderful mother-in-law to entertain my children and a very willing and resourceful handyman father-in-law, my little laundry room has had a complete overhaul.


Now, I still have a lot of work to do, including covering that window/plastic mess in the corner, painting the plywood under the washer and dryer, cleaning the old sick and taps and do a bit of hemming and trim painting, but what a difference! I can now walk, nay breeze into my laundry room, without tripping over random junk piles.

The Process
I dragged the dresser into my house (thanks to the 'towel' method perfected by my friend Kylah).














I cleaned, sanded and prepped for painting all in my tiny kitchen.


















My father-in-law then cut out where the middle 2 drawers had been, so I could turn the bottom half into a cupboard.

I gave the dresser two coats of outdoor trim with-primer-included paint, because I had left my primer outside and it had frozen over. The paint turned out to be a real time saver! Next I sewed a curtain from fabric I had lying around, and used a tension rod, and here is the result. I still need to buy a handle for the drawer...

So the transformation has begun, but I still need to figure out a way to cover up the window in the corner. Any suggestions?



1 comment: