Tuesday, May 18, 2010
The Secret Jenkins' Family Ice Tea Recipe
The year I got married to a Jenkins' boy, was the year I learned the secret Jenkins' family ICE TEA recipe. Now if you know my hubby's family, you know that they love (some might say are addicted to) their ice tea! The story goes that while they were living in Delaware, they learned this recipe and it has stuck with them every summer since! I remember drinking this tea when I was 16 years old, and not particularily loving it, but obviously as my love grew for my hubby, so did my love for his ice tea.
Well, who knows what sort of trouble I could get into for sharing this secret recipe, but here goes:
6 cups of water
8 bags of tea (be creative)
1 cup of honey
A few lemon slices and/or peppermint leaves
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil.
2. Turn off the gas or burner.
3. Drop in 8 bags of tea (my personal favourite is 4 bags of Earl Grey and 4 bags of Peppermint).
4. Put the lid back on and let sit for 15 minutes.
5. After 15 minutes, stir in 1 cup of sugar.
6. Dilute the tea solution with a ratio of 1 of tea solution to 2 of water.
7. Add lemon slices or peppermint leaves to add a little extra taste!
I like to use a large mason jar as a pitcher. It has a chic country vibe, and I needed to find a use for the 30 odd jars I unknowingly purchased in a recent auction mishap!